Friday, May 1, 2015

First dry fly day :)


Today's a good one.  Still have plenty of writing to do for work... But, started the day at 4AM in my home town chasing turkeys.  Called in 2 toms and a hen, but the hen picked me off as I tried to move and her alarm put's turned the toms around before a good shot could be made.  No worries, I turned around to this view of the hills rolling into the Quabbin Reservoir.  The pic doesn't do it justice.  What a start.


Come home, get some work done, and hit a local river for lunch.  Well, local stream.  Probably the best known of the local wild trout streams I fish due to the work of TU on it... but what a day.  Started with a royal wulff and missed a few... put on a little orange butt caddis and hello - almost every cast brought a strike.  And these fish were literally jumping out of the water on the take, it was awesome.

I'd called a local friend, and he'd got there shortly after me, and was quickly into fish like mad as well on a similar fly, and his Tenkara rod.


You can see the little orange butt I put on these caddis.  Not sure why I started doing it, but it does seem to add a little extra trigger for wild fish.


After enough fish, the caddis just wouldnt float outside the calmest sections of water... So on went a trusty old #16 stimulator.  And the trout didnt stop, they just kept on coming to the fly with reckless abandon.

They were chubby too.  My friend noted that a few he caught were so full of little caddis larva that they were literally spewing them as he lifted them from the water.  Making up for a LONG winter I guess :)


I fished only about 30 yds further up stream from here.  Then headed back.  Time to get back to work... but a great, invigorating lunch break for sure!


Spring is the best!
Enjoy it
Will

6 comments:

  1. Will, looks like you nailed it.
    The brook trout will eat whats plentiful, that being caddis. The are true survivors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true Alan. Its funny, I dont often hit dry fly days like that... but man, when trout jump clean over your fly trying to take it... That's a GREAT time!

      Delete
  2. That's what it is all about right there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will I'll be up your way next week. We'll be fishing some head water streams of the Deerfield.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alan that's awesome. Some amazing water out there through the berkshires!
      Will

      Delete