It's been a fun week. Monday I managed to get a turkey. Fun hunt where the birds came in a direction they "were not supposed to"... basically they went to the right, to get around an obstacle vs the left I thought they would take as they came to the call. That meant I had a stone wall blocking, and had to channel my best inner hen to get them past the stone wall. It worked and the four of us enjoyed one of natures true treats: Wild Turkey marinaded in Drew's Italian dressing 24hrs and grilled on open flame... YUMMY!
The bird not only tasted/tastes great... his feathers are going to lead to some nice flies too :)
Getting to that point when caddis and mayfly hatches start popping like crazy, so I've got a little vice time in making some rather generic emerger's...
but also some soft hackles in caddis green silk (ahhh), some bead head caddis larva and some super simple Sawyer's Killer Bugs. If your not familiar with the latter, it's a fly created by the same Sawyer who created the pheasant tail nymph. It's tied as the original PT nymph was - with wire rather than thread. The killer bug though is just wool yarn 2-3X wrapped up the shank. The dark is just funky bit's of thread in the wool yarn. The fly is tied in at the back via a whip finish - which is a little tricky to do with wire! That said, it's a super simple fly that seems to work well enough you kind of wonder why you ever tie things that are complicated :)... Any way, I'm looking forward to getting out with a few of these.