Monday, March 16, 2015

Super stuff for dry fly fishermen and a few nymphs.

Couple odd's and ends.  One I keep meaning to put out there but, I think I've forgotten.

If you fish dry's, especially on tumbly waters... this stuff is amazing.  I was told about it last year while having a discussion with Andy, the owner of http://www.concordoutfitters.com/ which is an awesome fly shop about 30' east of me.  I was about to pick up more of my normal Gink floatant and Andy suggested trying this stuff - at least as a fly preparation product, though he said he uses it on the water as well.

I was unsure, but wholly smokes - it's amazing.  I keep it on my bench and every dry that's supposed to fully float (spinners, catskills, hoppers etc) I dip, then let them dry before boxing them up.  To this point, even after multiple fish I've found that the treated flies want to keep floating.  It's pretty amazing!  Where it has shined especially well, is when fishing small waters with flies like mini muddlers, bombers and other bushy drys.  Those flies soak up the "fly-agra" and end up fishing as if made of cork!
I do still carry some Gink or Loon Outdoors grease, but I use those only on emergers that only need some floatant on the wing OR to save a fly that's been eaten multiple times during a fishing trip and is starting to sink.  The difference, is that I may not have to break out the grease until I've caught several fish on a treated fly.  Pretty amazing stuff.

Now, on to fun stuff.  Below are a few flies I like to tie.  First is a little take on the trusty pheasant tail nymph that I like.  Black peacock krystal flash (one of the worlds greatest fly materials to me :)) as the wing case and folded over to make the legs as well.  Little CCG on their for strength and to bring the sparkle out.


This one is a little black stone nymph I like.  If you look at the nymphs of these little critters, they are actually sort of olive-yellow.  Troutnut has a great image up for example sake: http://www.troutnut.com/specimen/439.  With that in mind, i've tried to use some olive materials in my early stone patterns.  Here's one.  It's olive pheasant tail for the tail, with the same bit used as the wing case and folded over for legs (I like that strategy for simplicity sake).  Peacock black crystal flash is used for the body, and gold rib.  the thorax is palmered peacock.


It's a suggestive little nymph and works great.  It's dense, so it looks for bottom fast, even in quick early season waters...

Have a super day -
Will

8 comments:

  1. Good looking nymphs, reminds me that I need to fill my box!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spring's coming along LQN - well, at least here in MA. Hopefully where you are it's warming up nicely as well! It's a good excuse to have a few minutes to focus and relax - fill those boxes!

      Delete
  2. Great info. I had some good success last weekend on the Little Red here in AR with the PT and PT wing case and legs folded over. Should had more, but I only tied 2 and lost both early. I'm waiting for some smaller hooks to come in and I plan on making several more. Thx for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice countryside Drew. AR in general any way. My wives uncle and his family lived in Fayeteville. We took a few hikes in the area and did some swims (for distance) on one of the big reservoirs. Not sure if that's near you, but Arkansas is a pretty cool state from what I could see. Spin up some more of those bugs!

      Delete
    2. NWA is a beautiful area and I get to the Ozarks as often as possible. I grew up in the central part of the state but for the last 8 years have lived almost in LA...SEAR in the land of cypress tress, alligators, and brown water. A very different but much appreciated beauty. Not many states have alligators, SMBass, trout, and many other warmwater fish...but AR does!

      Delete
    3. Drew that's interesting. I didnt realize gators made it that far north. That's pretty cool. Sounds like an amazing spot. And hey, fish are fish - catching bass, sunfish, or anything else is fun... and exploring swamps is pretty amazing!

      Delete
  3. Will I like them, and should be readily taken.
    Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alan - now if the melt would just happen a bit more I could get them wet :)

      Delete